Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Renovation...ugh!

It's been a while. The two week, turned two month rental renovation is almost done! I've learned so much and ironically enough, since I've been filling up the Godspot inside of me with God each day, it feels like I'm kinda being renovated as well.

You know how when you're going through a stage or process in life and it seems ironic when you discover that God actually planned to teach you something great through it? (As if he has trouble planning things that far in advance :0) Well, I think this renovation, that took so much longer than expected, has done just that for me.

I've been experimenting with giving God at least 10 minutes of my very busy every day. I even had to shut off the car once last week when I was backing out of my drive way b/c I almost forgot to give God that place in my heart. I could have driven and talked to him too, but I really, really wanted to get in the habit of giving him my full attention. That way it's not just a one-way conversation or gripe session and I stand a better chance of actually getting to hear what he's saying too. I also thought that since I'm going to fill that spot in my heart/soul somehow today anyway, whether it be with anxiety, worry or frustration or ???, I may as well not give those things a vacancy to occupy my heart and ask God to be my tenant. (I know it's a funny way to think but I have rental stuff on the brain right now.)

One of the benefits of this daily experiment is that I'm making different choices as result of letting God fill up my heart/soul. For instance, when I've been tempted to eat M&M's as a reward for all my hard work each night, I've asked God instead how he would like to comfort me. (I know he must have a better plan for comfort/reward than even peanut butter M&M's.) So one night I heard him say, "Get a cup of hot tea (I'm sure he meant Good Earth) and watch your favorite movie." That's exactly what I did and it felt so good. And you know what, ten nights of asking him how to comfort and reward me has led to 5lbs less of me! (I think I'm going to like this diet!)

So many other thoughts are running through my head about all the benefits of filling up the Godspot with God, but I'll just leave you with this for now:

Jesus said,  "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest." Matthew 11:28 (The Message Bible)


Have a great day and hopefully we'll chat tomorrow okay!

1 comment: